Wednesday, March 20, 2024

starting to plan a bit

I booked a hotel in St. John's for the whole trip while I organized my thoughts.  I also booked a rental car from May 26 to June 1 (my trip is May 23-June 1).  The car is 'Wild Card or Similar' so that should be an adventure!  

I am using the Newfoundland and Labrador tourism site. It is pretty skookum, I have to say.  Lots of trip planning ideas and routes. I am fully going to steal their "Eastern Journey" ideas.  I don't think I have time to that southern part though.  


I also signed up for Iceberg Alerts!  Looks like iceberg tours start in late May so hopefully the weather is good so I can do one.  See a puffin or two on the way? 


I started this post on March 12 and now it is March 20.  I bought two Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism books from the Sally Anne.  One from 2015 ($1.00) and one in French ($.50, green tag half price so $.25).  


I may have ordered another one of these, that province really knows how to advertise their product!  Reading the 2015 guide, I have come up with a very loose plan.  

A couple of days in St. John's.  Head toward Trinity.  Can't remember why.  Cape Bonavista is just right there, along the highway, just past Trinity, so a loop around that peninsula is in order.  Trinity for ? number of days/hours.  Head to Twillingate.  There for ? number of days/hours.  Head back to St. John's.  It's a solid plan.  

I don't want to book rooms along the way because I have no idea how long I will be anywhere.  I was talking to my friend Chuck who was there last year with his wife Susanne.  He said there are all sorts of attractions along the way that are not marked on any map so stay loose.  He did not say stay loose but I'm sure he meant to.   It is only a day's drive across the whole island but I want to keep open time for random diversions.  

And that is where we are at.  More planning to come, maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The plan is coming together

I am leaving in around three weeks so I figured I better do something to prepare.  Besides my iceberg alerts, which have started!   I ordere...